i am daylights

a highly inflamed sense of event

Thursday, December 29, 2005

if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all

GUEST BLOGGER
KEVIN, "I AM NIGHTLIGHTS" - THE ROOMMATE

STEPS IN TO COMPILE I AM DAYLIGHTS
END-OF-YEAR TOP TEN ALBUMS LIST


Since Peg’s combination of a temporary bad mood and permanent memory loss have rendered her incapable of making her year-end favorite album list, I find myself in the enviable position as I Am Daylights’ first guest blogger. I suppose it’s for the best, because usually while these songs are slipping into Marge’s unconscious without her knowledge, I am actively trying to sleep.

I must admit, however, that my musical preferences are a bit different than hers. I’m an ignorant, snot-nosed bastard who listens to nothing but Nirvana and Mudhoney. So, keep this in mind.

As for the criteria, I ranked the albums by the frequency from which they came blaring from Peg’s computer at ungodly hours of the morning. The more hours of sleep I lost to a particular album, the higher up the list it went. Also, I am aware that some of these albums came out in 2004. But, since Peg spent a good portion of 2005 listening to them, I’ve decided that they count.

On to the list . . .


10. Feist: Let it Die – I am unaware when Peg started listening to lounge music, but this album is decent enough.

9. Songs of Green Pheasant: Songs of Green Pheasant – Peg says she likes this band because they sound like Slowdive, her all-time favorite. That’s fine and dandy as long as I can get a little more reverb on the vocals.

8. Minus Story: The Captain Is Dead, Let the Drum Corpse Dance – Although Peg swears that this was a favorite before I moved into the house, I’m not sure if I’ve actually ever heard this album. Maybe I just thought it was a Flaming Lips record.

7. Chin Up Chin Up: We Should Have Never Lived Like We Were Skyscrapers – Whatever.

6. American Analog Set: Set Free – Peg feels that this is her favorite band of the moment. All I feel is myself starting to doze off.

5. Bound Stems: The Logic of Building the Body Plan EP – There was a good three weeks of freakout about the greatness of this album before it went back to Margot. I am undecided as to whether or not the “Bound Stems” actually exist.

4. Broken Social Scene: Broken Social Scene – Marge underestimates the number of times her computer spit out “7/4 (Shoreline)” in the last few months. Listening to this band must be akin to traveling at light speed for her and I think this is a good thing.

3. Wolf Parade: Apologies to the Queen Mary – “I’ll Believe in Anything” is another mid-morning Marge staple. Once, I swear I heard someone sing a “Ram-a-lang-a-ding-dong” on this song.

2. Constantines: Tournament of Hearts – Although their singer is in desperate need of a cough drop, this band is by far the best on this list. Then again, everything that comes from Canada is hot these days, isn’t it?

1. Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s: The Dust of Retreat – This band is pretty good as far as sad bastard bands go. But, if I wake up to “Talking in Code” one more time, I might need shock therapy.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home